José Manuel Reis Santos
General Academic Career
- Pedro Álvares Cabral High School , Castelo Branco, graduating in 1965.
- Entered Lisbon University Medical School 1965 and graduated 1971 at the age of 24.
- Two years of general surgery and then training in Urology at the Urology Unit at the Curry Cabral Hospital, Lisbon finishing in 1978.
- December 1978, passed the final exam in Urology with "Very Good with Honors".
- November 1979, after unanimous approval, is given the title of Consultant Urologist of the Hospitais Civis de Lisboa.
- July 1988, curriculum approved by the Examination Board and given the Status of Head of Department of Urology.
- July 1992, passed the European Board of Urology exam in Geneva with a score of 86%.
Academic Career in Urology
- Assistant lecturer in Urology at the New University of Lisbon from 1979 until 2002.
- Professor at Portuguese Catholic University, since 2002.
- Author of many communications both at home and abroad with more than 100 published works.
- Frequent training sessions at various centers in Europe, United States, Canada, Australia and Brasil.
- Full member of The Board of eULIS Society.
Experience in Clinical trials
Has participated in various clinical trials ( more then 20 Phase II-IV) as principal investigator since 1982.
Scientific Societies Where is Member
- The Portuguese Association of Urology
- The Society of Medical Sciences
- Medical Society of the Hospitais Civis de Lisboa
- Portuguese Cancer Society
- Portuguese Radiology and Nuclear Medicine Society
- The Portuguese Medical Software Society
- European Association of Urology
- Société International d'Urologie
- British Association of Urological Surgeons
- American Urological Association
- Brazilian Urological Society
- The Society for Minimally Invasive Therapy
- eULIS Society
- The Portuguese Society of Endoscopy and Endoscopy Surgery
Editorial Board – Medical journal
Does peer reviews for various international medical publications .
Author of Book Chapters
Is author of chapters in various publications of reference, namely in the Lithiasis field.
- Medical Adviser for Boehringer-Manheim Laboratory from 1970 till 1977.
- Medical Adviser for Les Laboratoire Servier from 1977 till 1978.
- Medical Adviser for Neo-Farmacêutica, Lda from 2001 to 2008.
- Medical Adviser and Scientific Director at the KTB – Produtos Farmaceuticos, SA since 2004
In Medical and Hospital Centers
- Founding Member of Uroclínica – Centro Clínico de Urologia in 1997. Since there is the Clinical Director.
- Founding Member of Uronda (Urology Department in Hospital São Luís - Lisbon) – 1986 -1996. During this period was Clinical Director for 4 years. In 1996, this unit was re-named “Instituto de Urologia” and moved to a new building in Lisbon.
- Founding Member of Instituto de Urologia – a private hospital unit in Lisbon (1996).
- Clinical Director at Instituto de Urologia from 1996 till 2002.
- Consultant at British Hospital - Lisbon since 2002.