Born in Torhout, Belgium on April 30, 1953
University of Leuven Medical School (1971 - 1978)
Graduated with distinction in June 1978
-2 years Residency in General Surgery at the Imeldaziekenhuis Bonheiden (1978 - 1980).
-4 years Residency (1980 - 1984) in Urology at the University Clinics of the Catholic University of Leuven, Department of Urology (Prof. Dr. H. Verduyn and Prof. Dr. RL. Vereecken)
-Full-time urologist at the Algemene Kliniek H. Familie,
Groene Briel 1, B-9000 Gent, Belgium from September 1984 till march 1994.
-Ad interim Urologist at the Algemeen Ziekenhuis St. Lucas,
Brugge, Belgium, from July 1984 - September 1986.
-Staff Urologist at Klina, Antwerp since April 1994 – April 2018.,
Chief of the Department since 1998.
- Chief of the "Center for Minimally Invasive Therapy in Urology" at Klina 1994-2018.
- Part-time urologist at University Hospitals Ghent from April 2019.
- Fellow of the European Board of Urology
Dutch, English, German, French.
Main professional interests :
Endourology & ESWL
PUBLICATIONS / POSTERS / VIDEOS
115 publications, including posters and videos, mainly on Endourology and ESWL.
· Journal of Endourology.
· The Journal of Urology.
· European Urology.
· Urological Research.
· European Urology
· Journal of Endourology
· Journal of Urology
· Urological Research
· Urology Annals
· Belgische Vereniging voor Urologie.
· Endourological Society.
· Board of Directors of the Endourological Society (2005-2008)
· European Association of Urology (EAU).
· Société Internationale d’Urologie (SIU).
· European Board of Urology (Fellow of the EBU)
· AUA : International Member
· PUA (Philippine Urological Association) : Honorary Member.
1. Organization of Center for Minimally invasive Techniques in Urology in AZ Klina, Brasschaat, Belgium :
· Use of multifunctional lithotripters (Endourology & ESWL) in AZ Klina :
- Dornier Lithotripter S II : 1999-2011
- Dornier Compact Delta II UIMS : 2006-present
- Dornier Gemini : 2011-2012
- Dornier Gemini with Optical Coupling Control : 2012-present
· Training Center for ESWL and Endourology
· Da Vinci since 2009
· Lasers in AZ Klina :
- Holmium laser Solvo : 2009-present
- Urobeam laser for laser evaporisation of the prostate : 2010-present
2. Demonstration of and training in endourologic techniques (URS and PNL) in various centers worldwide since 1985.
3. Demonstrations and trainings in ESWL in various centers worldwide since 1987.
4. Organization of :
· 8th VideoUrology World Congress : Antwerp, June 26-29, 2011.
· Intl. Symposium “Paediatric Urology in daily practice” : Antwerp, October 21, 2000.
· Intl Symposium “Laparoscopic Renal surgery” : Antwerp, October 19, 2002.
5. Session chairman or moderator at various congresses and symposia on Endourology and ESWL worldwide (since 1985).
6. Worldwide organization of ESWL Instructional Courses.
Cooperation with Prof. Dr. Christian Chaussy.
- To introduce “Good Lithtripsy” practice.
- To improve results and reduce complications with ESWL.
Publication of booklet :
- Extracorporeal Shockwave Lithotripsy in a Nutshell.
- Extracorporeal Shockwave Lithotripsy in a Nutshell. (USA Edition)
- Extracorporeal Shockwave Lithotripsy in a Nutshell. Second and revised edition